I happened to be having a good hair day when musing about meaningful shapes for my module. While looking into a mirror, it dawned on me that I could create a module that could mimic my curly hair and the natural curves of my body. Curls and curves have been used in traditional painting to add depth, as in Van Gogh’s Starry Night and The Great Wave off Kanagawa, by Hokusai. I thought there was no better way to add depth to a 2D material than by adding curves.
Once I came up with the concept, the making was relatively straight forward. I started out making paper models with scissors to test the scale and shape. Once I was satisfied, I replicated the models in Rhino.
It was important for me to create zero waste modular fashion, or as close to zero as I could get. This influenced the size and scale of my designs, as I wanted my modules to nestle into one another.
Once I had my module set, I laser cut them out of Neoprene using the neoprene setting on our trotec lasercutter. The laser cutter had some focusing problems, so half of the modules came out with a rough edge. The rough edge ended up being helpful for assembling, because it gave the modules a little more friction for latching onto one other.
The assembly went very smoothly, and as expected. The modules fit perfectly together and were very fun to string together. I made a few arrangements ranging from a curly choker to a full curly shirt, and everything in between.