Circular Open Source Fashion#
October 8th, 2019
In this class the lecture will outline the systems behind fashion and the textile industry, focusing on alternative systems such as circular fashion, agile fashion, open value chains.
The focus will be on creating modular elements, structures and connections that allow the user to change the shape of a garment, resize it or replace certain elements. Students will publish their creations on open source platforms and learn how to monitor and promote their creations in a distributed network.
- Intro teacher
- Circular fashion
- Hacking the fashion system
- Agile fashion
- Modular elements
- Modular seams
2D Drawing software#
- illustrator, rhino3d & grasshopper
- valentina project
- laser cutter
sealing textiles, synthetic textiles that melt and seal the edges of the cut outs vegetable tanned leather (chrome tanned leather is toxic when heated) felt, natural and synthetic (preferably pla or other biodegardable felts) neoprene (check for composition that no toxic particle/fumes will be released when heated)
- Design and prototype with paper and scissors modular configurations and locking connections. Document the paper prototypes
- Run tests of laser cutting of your designs in fabric and document the parameters for the chosen fabric.
- Design and Document the process.
- Laser cut the modules. Create a modular or seamless garment, showing that the connection is well designed and holds the pull/stretch of a garment. Document the assembly process and tests.
- Upload the open source file in pdf, in correct scale with 1-5 pictures at (https://oscircularfashion.com) (preferably in white background)
- EXTRA POINT Submit some of the modules to the analog or digital material library of the lab. (20cm *20cm aprox)
How will it be evaluated?#
- References and Concept development
- Design : sketches, prototypes, material choices, tests , 2D vectorial design softwares
- Fabrication : laser cutting, workflow, assemblying, material used and left overs
- Documentation : Anyone can go through the process and understand
- Final outcome
- Originality - Aesthetics : Has the design been thought through and elaborated
Hacking the fashion system#
Review Oscircular Fashion#