November 6th, 2018
Disciplines as programming and electronics become highly interconnected, blurring old boundaries and merging different fields of knowledge. Fashion has been already affected by this radical change. Therefore, clothes, shoes and other accessories can now incorporate elements of hardware and software, generating a peculiar mix between fashion and computation that is incredibly fertile and inspiring. Data becomes Beauty, Interaction becomes Emotion. As a result, a new aesthetic is emerging.
In this class participants will explore computational design methods towards a new reinterpretation of cloths, garments and accessories for fashion design, inspired by a new digital design methodology.
This class requires basic knowledge of Rhinoceros, Grasshopper. Participants should bring their own laptop with a pre-installed software. The software package needed has no additional cost for the participant (Rhino can be downloaded as evaluation version, Grasshopper and plugins are free). These softwares are subject to frequent updates, so a download link to the version used in the workshop will be sent to the participants a few days before the workshop.
Libraries for Grasshopper3D#
- Marching Cubes
- Mesh Edit
- Mesh tools
- Mesh analysis
- Document the concept, sketches, references also to artistic and scientific publications
- Design a parametric model using Grasshopper3D and uploadthe rhino file + grasshopper files.
- Learn how to use 3D printing techniques to print the 3D model in/on the chosen materials.
- Document the workflow for exporting your file and preparing the machine and gcode to be 3D printed
- Upload your stl file with pictures at : https://oscircularfashion.com
- Submit some of your swatches to the analog material library of your lab. (20cm *20cm aprox)
How will it be evaluated#
- References : tutorial , links, inspiration
- Design : sketch , 3D modeling skills, Parametric modeling skills
- Fabrication : Capable of executing from file to production workflow, from 3D modelling to 3D printing , parameters, materials
- Documentation : Anyone can go through the process and understand
- Final outcome : Is the project assembled, functioning and complete
- Originality - Aesthetics : Has the design been thought through and elaborated
Fabricademy 2019 - Week 8 - Computational Couture from Textile Academy on Vimeo.
Review Computational Couture#
Previous years videos#
Fabricademy 2018- Week 8 - Computational Couture from Textile Academy on Vimeo.