October 25th, 2022
This last century we have been crafting, designing and growing materials independently from their future use. This has caused major design flaws in our daily lives, where we find ourselves surrounded by plastics, while observing knowledge about local materials and techniques disappear and left unused even when in abundance.
This class will focus on exploring material alternatives to the current ones. By bridging craftsmanship techniques and todays easier access to technologies, we explore alternative material resources in order to craft their processing and develop products and materials hand in hand.
- Overview and context: BioFabrication
- BioFabricating materials
- Crafted materials & Grown materials
- Themes: overview of projects, recipe and whats needed
Bio-plastics, -silicones & -resins * Gelatine
- fish skin leather
- mushroom leather
- fruit leathers
- hi tech
- cooperative research
- researchers around the world
- Material Archives
- Bio -plastics -resins -silicones
- calcium chloride
- sodium carbonate
Visit the handbook to see the assignment criteria for this class.
- Lecture Slides part 1 - Bioplastics
- Lecture Slides part 2 - Leathers, innovations and archives
- [Video Lecture one] coming soon
- [Video Review one] coming soon
- coming soon